Great outdoors - from the mountains to the sea...
California has a tremendous array of recreational opportunities, National Parks and Monuments, National Forests, State Parks, maintained trails, extensive waterways, including 1,100 miles of coastline.
- Hiking in a natural environment is considered the best ways to explore
nature and the health benefits of walking have also been confirmed.
- The Pacific Crest Trail is a 2,650 miles (4,260 km) long mountain
equestrian trail that runs between Mexico and Canada. A 211 miles (340 km) long scenic section of it in the Sierra Nevada - called John Muir Trail - provides excellent hiking and backpacking opportunities for nature lovers.
- Famous mountain resorts - like Heavenly, Squaw Valley, Mammoth Mountain - offer inspiring scenic beauty and exhilarating experience for downhill
skiing and snowboarding.
- Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are perfect winter activities for all ages at a leisurely pace to experience the beautiful mountain environment.
- White water rafting is a challenging activity using inflatable boats to navigate a river. Several California rivers offer a wide variety of rafting opportunities ranging from family pleasure to extreme excitement.
- Millions enjoy boating and sailing on California 's waterways, great lakes, rivers, bays and out on the Pacific Ocean. Lake Tahoe, Colorado River, San Francisco Bay, Monterey, Ventura, Marina del Ray, Newport Beach, Dana Point, San Diego offer memorable experience for sailing and boating enthusiasts.
- Challenging the elements on kayak, canoe, outrigger
or paddleboat is favorite pastime and exercise for many. Clubs and rental places offer almost unlimited access to great paddling.
- Surfers represent a diverse culture in California. Some people practice surfing as a recreational activity, while others make it the central focus of their lives. Santa Cruz and Huntington Beach are the most favorite locations. "Surf City USA" hosts Surfing World Championships and provides the greatest surfing on a daily basis.
- California's diverse fish and wildlife resources provide the public with enjoyable
fishing and hunting opportunities.
- Divers enjoy great beaches, coves and lakes to explore spectacular marine life. California has some of the richest kelp beds in the world. For high altitude and deep dives - with the visibility of the Caribbean - California gives you Lake Tahoe in the middle of the High Sierras.
- Famous California beaches attract locals and tourists from all around the world for relaxation, fun and leisure activities.
Enjoy the great outdoors of California!
The water of life!