Arts, artist villages, galleries, museums...
The natural scenery of California inspires artists and provides perfect setting for displaying their
masterpieces in various forms in public places, exhibitions, art galleries and
museums. Well known artist communities and villages are not only homes of artists, but favorite destinations for art enthusiasts, as well.
- Sausalito is a picturesque seaside village and legendary artist colony of the
San Francisco Bay Area just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Sausalito hosts
the internationally acclaimed annual Sausalito Art Festival and famous for its studios and galleries, where working artists host open studio tours.
- Carmel-by-the-Sea on the Monterey Peninsula is one of the world's most beautiful and romantic getaways, well known for its natural scenery and rich artistic history. The charming village has annual art and wine festivals and is home of painters, sculptors, writers, musicians and other artists.
- Santa Barbara has a vibrant history as an artist colony and with more than 60 galleries and museums it offers an array of unforgettable artistic adventures. The Santa Barbara Museum of Art features nationally recognized collections and special exhibitions of international merit.
- Los Angeles art galleries feature traditional fine art and contemporary art, paintings, sculpture, glass art, photography and other types of visual art. The
Art Walk is a free, self-guided tour of the many art exhibitions, galleries and museums.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
(LACMA) is the largest art museum in the western United States with 100,000 objects dating from ancient times to the present.
- Santa Monica is a perfect hub for visitors looking to explore Southern California art scene with over one hundred art galleries, public art displays and installations.
- The Getty Center in Los Angeles presents Getty's collection of Western art, European paintings, drawings, sculpture, illuminated manuscripts, decorative arts, European and American photographs
- in a dramatic setting of unique architecture, tranquil gardens and breathtaking views.
- The Getty Villa in Malibu is a magnificent
replica of a Pompeii
Villa. It remains a museum and educational center of ancient cultures and arts. The Getty Villa houses ancient art from Greece, Rome and Etruria. The oldest dates back to 6500 BC.
Most items were created 700 BC - 300 AD.
- Laguna Beach is a Mediterranean-style seaside resort and artist community, famous for its galleries and festivals. The Laguna Beach
Festival of Arts is Southern California's oldest and finest annual art show since
1932. The Pageant of the Masters held in each summer shows recreations of artworks with people posing in a set that looks like the original art.
Sawdust Festival is promoting local art.
galleries display the artwork of the marine life artist who started his extraordinary career of painting majestic murals of marine life at the same spot in Laguna Beach.
- Dawson Cole Fine Art specializes in
contemporary and modern sculpture, drawings, prints and unique works on paper by American and European Masters. The gallery displays works by Richard MacDonald, Paul
Gaughin, Robert Heindel, Henri Matisse, Henry Moore and Pablo Picasso.
- San Diego is a year-round cultural destination showcasing 90 museums with a wide range of collections of fine arts.
Balboa Park is often referred to as the
"Smithsonian of the West." La Jolla is a jewel itself and the La Jolla Festival of the Arts is among the top rated art shows in California.
The water of life!